Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dang Wyoming wind.....

Sunday morning I wake up to snow fall around the Gillette area. I planned to leave at 2 p.m. for a conference in Cheyenne with my nursing class. Around 10 a.m. my cellphone rings and my instructor thinks it would be a great idea if we left at noon instead. I am a class officer so I needed to be to a dinner at 5:30 that night. Cheyenne is about 230 miles and on a good day a 3-3.5 hour trip. Needless to say I rush to get packed and am on the snow filled roads with 2 other girls at 12:15! I should have known better... We didn't arrive in Cheyenne until almost 6 p.m. that evening. Very crappy roads 90% of the drive down!
The conference was all day Monday and until noon on Tuesday. Therefore we planned on being home around 5 Tuesday night. Sunday/night, Cheyenne got close to 12 inches of snow. Josie came over Monday night and we were able to go out to dinner and hit the mall for some shopping. We found some awesome deals and had a lot of fun together. Josie ended up staying the night and leaving around 7 Tuesday morning. While I am in my class Tuesday morning I am getting text messages about the road conditions and the 50 mph winds on I-25! They closed the roads before we were able to get out of town. I was a bit unhappy but whatever! Wednesday morning I wake up and the roads are all still closed out of Cheyenne. Around noon they decide to open I-25 so I call everyone who was riding with me and we get the car packed. 1:00 my instructor is telling us not to leave and wait until Thursday morning. I call my dad and he says get on the road because they look fine and we have enough daylight to get to Douglas. 1:20 my instructor is now in my face and making me sign some consent about how I am leaving "AMA" a medical term used when someone leaves against medical advice. What a MORON! So everyone now decides we better not go and my instructor wants to call my dad and ask him why he is giving me advice about getting on the roads when he is in Gillette. At this point I am crying because I just want to go home. I decided to stay and went to the Laramie County Library in Cheyenne (it is BRAND new and 4 awesome levels) and studied all afternoon. I learned that it is nice to study while in a very BAD mood. So 4 sleepless nights later and after wearing dirty clothes for 2 days, I made it back to Gillette Thursday around noon! I missed my 2 boys like crazy and I don't have any plans on traveling without them anytime soon. By the way, does anyone in the Skinner family have a clue what it is about Cheyenne and the weather when we are visiting??????

3 comments:

bcwaldmann said...

I remember it snowing like crazy, raining, and Tim getting sunburned all in the same weekend. Thanks Cheyenne for your WONDERFUL weather!

Lil Gma said...

I can't believe that Cheyenne, Rawlins, and Gillette are in the same boat. How bad is that. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

laura said...

You're causing trouble with the instructer huh? AMA that sounds serious :) i know driving on that road is awful, it took us 6 hours to get home from laramie on Sun.