Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Update

The last 3 weeks have been a blur for me, I have been working 40+ hours/week and to top that off they have been straight nights. It has been a good experience, as I am much more grateful for Jeremy and his shift-work. To say the least, I love my job and am so glad I chose nursing. I have one more week of orientation and than I'm on my own. To give you an idea of what I will be doing..... When you go to the hospital to have your baby there is a Labor and Delivery Nurse that basically does everything until the Dr. walks in the room to catch the baby, I will start Labor & Delivery next May when I am done with my RN year. For now, I will be the nursery nurse that the Dr. hands the baby off to after delivery. I give a few newborn meds within minutes of birth, wipe the infant dry, suction the baby and give oxygen if the baby is struggling. It is such a rush to experience the miracle of life day after day! I have experienced a woman on meth deliver a child, women with no epidurals, and a twin delivery! You can bet I will get an epidural with the next baby I have!

1 comment:

laura said...

no epidulals? now that is just crazy :) thanks for taking care of my little boy in the nursery.